HISTORY

The Mary Galloway home was started as “The Home for Aged Women” in a small cottage in 1896 with six resident ladies, each of whom paid $10 per month. The founders were members of the “Willing Hands Circle” of the King’s Daughters. The corporate charter of this charitable organization was issued by the State of Tennessee in January, 1897. The purpose of the home was – and is – to provide protection, comfort, and support in a harmonious and dignified setting for retirement age women with financial needs.

As the home grew and additional space was required, it was moved to the corner of Monroe and Manassas, across the street from Forrest Park. The debt incurred by this move was paid by Colonel Robert Galloway. In 1902, the residence officially became “The Mary Galloway Home” in memory of Colonel Galloway’s wife, who had been a member of the founding circle. 759 Monroe Avenue housed the Mary Galloway ladies for 60 years. During that time there were additions made which increased the capacity to 30. An infirmary and a sunroom were also part of the additions.

In 1961, the building at 5389 Poplar was opened with space for 48 ladies. A later addition allowed housing for 52. Built on a 4 1/2 acre tract, this served as the Home for 36 years. Designed by Walk Jones, the structure was on one floor, with residents’ rooms built around courtyards. Small sitting areas augmented the spacious living room. A beauty salon was included for the convenience of the ladies. The arrangement of two bedrooms which shared a half-bath allowed for later development of “suites” which could be occupied by one lady for a standard rate. All residents had to go down the hallway for bath or shower.

The governing board decided to sell the Poplar property and enter into a lease agreement with what was known as Atria Communities in 1996. A special wing was designed for Mary Galloway residents at Atria of Cordova. The move to Appling Care Lane was accomplished in September, 1997. This facility was licensed as Assisted Living and gave the Mary Galloway residents the opportunity to “age in place”, which was not possible at the Poplar residence. It was later bought and operated by SunWest Management, Inc. and called Cordova Estates. While the foundation subsidized only the basic level of care, a resident could remain and continue to receive the financial support so long as her family/sponsor was responsible for any additional charges.

In November of 2007, The Mary Galloway home move to Trezevant Terrace, a new assisted living facility on the campus of Trezevant Manor. Throughout its history, the Home has been run by a volunteer Governing board. There are special programs throughout the year; these include a Birthday Luncheon each month and a Christmas and Valentine party given by the board.

The Mary Galloway home is a nonprofit organization supported by income from trusts and other legacies, memorial donations, honorariums, gifts and rental fees from residents. A financial subsidy is granted to each resident according to her ability to pay. Currently, the home has the capacity for 20 residents.

 

HISTORY OF THE MARY GALLOWAY HOME – NOVEMBER 11, 1906 – MEMPHIS NEWS SCIMITAR