History

The Mary Galloway home was started as "The Home for Aged Women" in a small cottage in 1896 with six resident ladies, each of whom paid $10 per month. The founders were members of the "Willing Hands Circle" of the King's Daughters. The corporate charter of this charitable organization was issued by the State of Tennessee in January, 1897. The purpose of the home was - and is - to provide protection, comfort, and support in a harmonious and dignified setting for retirement age women with financial needs.

As the home grew and additional space was required, it was moved to the corner of Monroe and Manassas, across the street from Forrest Park. The debt incurred by this move was paid by Colonel Robert Galloway. In 1902, the residence officially became "The Mary Galloway Home" in memory of Colonel Galloway's wife, who had been a member of the founding circle. 759 Monroe Avenue housed the Mary Galloway ladies for 60 years. During that time there were additions made which increased the capacity to 30. An infirmary and a sunroom were also part of the additions.

In 1961, the building at 5389 Poplar was opened with space for 48 ladies. A later addition allowed housing for 52. Built on a 4 1/2 acre tract, this served as the Home for 36 years. Designed by Walk Jones, the structure was on one floor, with residents' rooms built around courtyards. Small sitting areas augmented the spacious living room. A beauty salon was included for the convenience of the ladies. The arrangement of two bedrooms which shared a half-bath allowed for later development of "suites" which could be occupied by one lady for a standard rate. All residents had to go down the hallway for bath or shower.

The governing the board decided to sell the Poplar property and enter into a lease agreement with what was known as Atria Communities in 1996. A special wing was designed for Mary Galloway residents at Atria of Cordova. The move to Appling Care Lane was accomplished in September, 1997. This facility was licensed as Assisted Living and gave the Mary Galloway residents the opportunity to "age in place", which was not possible at the Poplar residence. It was later bought and operated by SunWest Management, Inc. and called Cordova Estates. While the foundation subsidized only the basic level of care, a resident could remain and continue to receive the financial support so long as her family/sponsor was responsible for any additional charges.

In November of 2007, The Mary Galloway home move to Trezevant Terrace, a new assisted living facility on the campus of Trezevant Manor. Throughout its history, the Home has been run by a volunteer Governing board. There are special programs throughout the year; these include a Birthday Luncheon each month and a Christmas and Valentine party given by the board.

The Mary Galloway home is a nonprofit organization supported by income from trusts and other legacies, memorial donations, honorariums, gifts and rental fees from residents. A financial subsidy is granted to each resident according to her ability to pay.. Currently, the home has the capacity for 20 residents.
1901 to 1961
759 Monroe Ave
1961 to 1997
5389 Poplar Ave
1997 to 2007
Appling Care Lane
2007 to Present
Trezevant Terrace
mgh_website001002.jpg
Established 1896
History
Newsletter
Testimonials
Scrapbook 1896-1961
The Residence
Admission and Cost
Resident Services
Resident Activities
Our Website is a work in progress.

Special thanks go to WorldSpice Technologies in Memphis, TN for donating the web space and hosting of our email. Without them this site would not be possible.
The Mary Galloway Home
The Mary Galloway Home
Board of Directors
Contact Us
The Cruise of the SS Celtic around the Mediterranean 1902
Standard History of Memphis Tennessee
Mary Galloway Obituary
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Galloway were aboard the famous Mediterranean cruise of the SS Celtic which left NYC on February 8th, 1902. They returned to Memphis sometime after it docked in NYC on April 22nd. Mrs. Galloway died less than two months later on June 14, 1902.
Read about Robert Galloway and the impact he had on Memphis History as he was appointed to the first Board of Park Commissioners in September of 1900 (chapter XV page 368 - Parks and Promenades).
A little bit about Mr. and Mrs. Robert Galloway
Here is the story about why Robert Galloway was given the honorary title of Colonel.
Robert Galloway starts the Memphis Zoo.
Goodspeed's History of Tennessee 1887 - Robert Galloway

Robert W. Galloway, junior member of the firm of Patterson & Co., came to Memphis in 1865, where he engaged in clerking on a steamboat. for some time. He was afterward engaged as delivery agent for the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, in whose employ he remained till 1870. In that year he became connected with the above named firm. Mr. Galloway is also actively engaged in farming and is one of the wide-awake energetic citizens of the county. He was one of eight commissioners elected to put the taxing district system on foot, which system held good for two and a half years. In 1865 he married Mary Hall of New York and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. Both he and partner organized, and are large stockholders in the Memphis Grain and Package Elevator. Mr. Galloway affiliates with the Democrats in his political views.
Galloway and partners start Memphis Grain and Package Elevator. Here is an 1883 article about it's importance to the Mid-South.
Newsletters
Frequently Asked Questions